Thursday, November 17, 2011

Opening Night

Geneva

Okay so, all last week I couldn't figure out what Paul was going through. The last time he and I spent the night together, it was amazing…. Earth-shattering…. The truth. Boom-shaka-laka. What ever you want to call it. And then, I didn’t hear from him for another three days. I didn't bother calling him because this man doesn’t believe in answering a phone.

I didn't dwell. We were in tech for The Colored Museum and I was spending all my time at the theater.
So last night was opening night. I reserved three front row seats for Noni, Caroline and Paul. The last time I had seen Paul was Monday, when he dropped in on a rehearsal. . He'd walked directly from his boxing gym and crept in the back. He was soaked with sweat and... a little funky. He had a towel wrapped around his neck and he was wiping his face while I worked on a scene. During a break, he came over and rubbed my shoulders. Kissed me. Asked me how I was and told me he'd be here opening night.

So where the hell was he?! The show was amazing, but I couldn't even get into the excitement. My attention was on the empty chair next to me. "Is Paul supposed to be here?" Caroline whispered.

I rolled my eyes.

I was a mess afterwards. The cast and crew all headed to a bar afterwards (this bar in the village that I hate) and I think Noni and Caroline could tell I wasn't in a social mood. Paul never misses anything I do. I mean, even back in undergrad when he pretended to only be interested in friendship, he came to all my shows. So damn. Maybe this shit really is over. I feel kind of empty without a new project or my man.

-Geneva

No comments:

Post a Comment