Thursday, November 17, 2011

Bermuda Holiday


Noni

It was a fabulous long weekend. Thursday Carter and I attended the Hale House benefit. It was a very lavish society affair and the biggest event that I’ve been to since I’ve moved. I wore a simple mermaid sheath that I had made for me by a seamstress out of the bridal district. It was a ravishing shade of midnight blue. I wore a pair of Tahitian pearl and diamond Mikimoto earrings that Carter bought for me as a ‘welcome’ present if you will and a simple diamond pendant around my neck. As a new-comer to Harlem society, I wouldn’t dare be too obvious. How gauche


I must say, it’s pretty strange being known primarily as someone’s girlfriend. When I worked as a reporter I was what you’d call a local celebrity. It was a major city, but not big enough to hold real celebrities for people to fetishize, hence the local news personalities were made to be as such. I couldn’t go anywhere without being recognized. The thing about being a writer is that people are more familiar with your work than they are you. And I don’t mind that. I have a successful literary career and it’s nice to have my anonymity back again. It’ll just take some getting used to. I hope to make a name for myself in Harlem though, outside of being Carter’s lady friend. Though, the gig ain’t so bad.

The real talk of the town at the gala was American Ballet Theater’s opening night, and Michelle Obama’s surprise appearance. I heard she looked incredible. ABT’s Spring season opening night is the ticket. I let Carter know, next year, I plan to be there.

When we returned that evening Carter opened the door and then said to me, pack your bags.

“For what?”

“I’m taking you away for the weekend.”

What! This man is to good to be true. He had privately booked a flight to Bermuda, my favorite Caribbean island. I don’t know what it is about Bermuda, the luke-warm turquoise waters, the Johnny cake, or just the feeling. I love it there. We stayed in a spacious seaside villa decked in island shades of white. We spent the weekend, and memorial day, ordering in , making love, and watching the waves lap at our feet. It was wonderful.

Back to reality now. Carter headed back to LA. I miss him. Geneva and Caroline are coming over for some much needed girl talk. I have two bottles of Moscato chilling and I bought some red velvet cupcakes from the bakery a few blocks down. It’s a food combination that will make any girl feel good. Geneva’s man is out of his mind… but you didn’t hear that from me.

Noni J.

No comments:

Post a Comment