Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Black Girl in Paris


Caroline

Paris never get’s old. I’ve been here more times than I can count and it’s still amazing.

I am just waking from a much-needed nap, still jet-legged even though j'arrive a Paris a dimanche. I love traveling but I can't stand that groggy feeling. I got that bottle of Cab though. Right. I'm on the third glass. Nina is on the I-tunes, I’m wearing my favorite silk robe and privately celebrating my victory.

The board green-lighted the fragrance. Thank you God. That's a huge feat because seriously, the development, creation, and marketing process of a new perfume is as risky and costly as a Hollywood movie. The up-side, it can be just as profitable.

Of course one of my male team members tried to pull a fast one and take credit for an idea that was mine-- birthed through several long nights of labor pain. I had pull him aside and say “Hey, let me remind you who saved your ass last month”. No need for details in this matter. But really, I am not the one. That’s the thing about corporate America. Doesn’t matter that I have two degrees from two of the finest schools in the world. It doesn’t make me immune to racism, sexism….and haters. I always have to watch my back.
That meeting ended in the early afternoon. I had time to kill. So I switched out of my 'shut-em down' suit, into something comfy and eclectic-- suitable for Paris. Gold hoops, bangles, leggings, boots, a shirt dress, and this fly belt I found shopping with Noni. I've been to Paris far too many times to do the touristy thing, but I never tire of les jardins de Tuileries. It’s where Paris just seems to slow down.

I returned to my favorite spot around the pond, where les enfants were running around, feeding the ducks bread. The sun was shining, there was a nice little breeze, and it was just peaceful (in spite of toddlers squealing in french). think I actually needed some time to think. It's weird. I am kind of excited for Lance's arrival and dreading it at the same time. And mad at myself too for being so damn ambivalent. Too bad. I still haven't replied to his e-mail. But really... he could have called.

Changing subject.

There is something about being in Paris that makes me want to toss around french phrase that are over-used mostly by people that don’t actually speak French... like 'joi de vivre' (which actually is my life) and quote famous writers. Quote of the day: Be careful what you set your heart upon - for it will surely be yours. - James Baldwin

I also identify with the other black girls who actually turned Paris out. Josephine Baker. Eartha Kitt. Michelle Obama. In Paris, a fly Black woman is actually the truth. Like, a man will stop you in the street to tell you how beautiful you look. Yes, it’s partially on some exoticism, Venus Hottentot craziness… but I think it’s beyond that. They get it. There are some European men (not all) that really put fascinating Black women on a pedestal…. where they belong. And this may sound crazy, but I think Michelle Obama has made Black women en vogue again. Not that we were ever out of style, but…. Some people slept. But these men have been tripping over themselves, literally, to approach me.

Sometimes I feel like I can apply that Joni Mitchell song to men at home. : “Dont it always seem to go that you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone”. Not that Black women are going any where, but sometimes Black men forget how fabulous we are-beauty, body, mind and spirit.

Alright, I’m about to finish this glass, shower and slip into this fly lingerie I just bought. I’m having dinner in two hours with a man I met today.

Trust, I’ll be putting the “Africa” in “Afro-Dite”.

Bisous,

Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment